Have you ever wanted to change careers? Have you ever questioned your field of study? Join career expert, motivator, and award-winning author Andrew LaCivita as he discusses the best first step to take when you want to make a career change.
There is one really common reason you want to change. You’re not doing what you love or what makes you happy (anymore).
You have two major obstacles to making this type of change successfully:
- You need to become self-aware.
- You need to determine whether your current employer, current career, prospective employer, or prospective career can actually satisfy your (self-awareness) needs.
Your prescription for part one:
- Write your “headline” or purpose. Start with what you want to be or build in general terms, but do not include how you’ll accomplish it.
- Determine why you want that headline. Challenge yourself regarding why you want this and whether your reasons will change in the face of imminent adversity.
- Identify your “what and why combinations” you need to stay happy as you work to fulfill your headline.
Make sure you:
- Identify your criteria and not someone else’s.
- Include as many criteria (your what/why combos) as possible. The more the better.
- Make each item as low-level as possible. That is, develop them down to the lowest level of why by continually asking yourself why (on each criterion) until you can’t ask why any more.
For a complete summary, detailed "transcript," fun quote cards and more related to this podcast episode, visit:
If you enjoyed this episode, please comment and share!